Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sketch-A-Day

I lack discipline.  I took the required intro to drawing class last fall, and while I've always been a bit of an illustrator, my discipline in the subject absolutely stinks.  The one art I've actually devoted years of time to is singing, but I can practice that all the time! (In fact, I'm pretty sure I do.)
Taking a class was great practice, but I forget to sit down and look at things and try to interpret them through the marks on a page every single day.  My favorite thing about the whole artistic process are those tiny "aha" moments.  You know when you hit that high note that you never thought you could or the pastel goes down on the page exactly as you intended.  It is in those tiny fleeting moments that you realize you've learned something about making art.

In an effort to continue my illustration outside of the discipline of a syllabus, I shall try to post a sketch every couple of days or so.  Perhaps nothing too horribly exciting, but I'll get there.

And now, toadstool.  He ain't great, but it's a start...

No comments:

Post a Comment